WELCOME

Medical school, travel and photography is what this blog is about. Hope you enjoy. Cheers.

Thursday, July 14, 2011

Summer Practice

Hi there, I hope you probably know by now that I am a medical student. My school requires of the students to have a summer practice at a hospital which could be 3 or 4 weeks depending on what year the student is. This year I need to do a 3 week practice and I decided to try something new. I decided to go to Mombassa, Kenya. Mombassa is a city on the coast of Kenya. It has very beautiful beaches and there is a lot fun things to do here. The people here are very nice and friendly. And they love Nigerians!!!! Very funny, right?
When I went to the Hospital for the first time, everyone would speak swahili to me because they just assumed I was Kenyan. I meant a group of very nice nurses in the surgery ward and as soon as I told them I am Nigerian, they started speaking in Nigerian accents (supposedly). They said things like 'my sister ooo', basically just adding 'oo' to everything they said. I just laughed. Even the program coordinator told me that I do not have a Nigerian accent and I asked why he said that and He said it was because I didn't add 'oo' to all my sentences. I finally realised what was going on....these people watch so many Nigerian movies, they probably are the biggest fan base Nollywood has after Nigeria and I guess that's where they get all these impressions about Nigerians.
Anyway, enough with the blabbing. I am having a very nice time, meeting a lot of new people and just making friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment