WELCOME

Medical school, travel and photography is what this blog is about. Hope you enjoy. Cheers.

Friday, October 28, 2011

Elective Africa PART 1/3

    This post is coming very very late. I was supposed to write this in August but I kept postponing it for some unknown reason. Anyway, here we are.
    I found out about Elective Africa from some friends who went to Kenya through Elective Africa. I knew right away that I wanted to go to Kenya after hearing all their amazing stories and challenges as well. I contacted the admin, applied and I was ready to go to Kenya.
   To be honest I didn't know what to expect as I knew I was going into a totally new environment ,  to meet a lot of new people and my social skills not being the best. People think that because I'm Nigerian, Kenya shouldn't be that far off culturally, but there's a lot of ways we differ. The way we think, dress, talk, the languages we speak (except English of course) are different and if I have to pick one thing we have in common, it is the colour of our skin. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to build a divide where none is needed, all I'm saying is people shouldn't assume. Just because its Africa doesn't mean everywhere is the same.
  Anyway, I packed my bags and after a 5 hour flight to Addis Ababa and another 2 hour connecting flight to Nairobi, I was in Kenya. Wohoooo. I arrived very early in the Morning and had to wait at the airport for the first flight to Mombassa. I have to commend 'Elective Africa' because their agent in Nairobi called 'Flavia' kept me company at the airport till it was time to board my flight to Mombassa. I felt special and very welcomed.

                                                           Continue to Elective Africa PART 2

No comments:

Post a Comment